Japanese-inspired curry (vegan)
by Chef Caroline Ishii
Serves 4 people
- 1 package Soyerie Atsuage tofu (340 grams)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons garam masala mix
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more if you want it spicier)
- 3 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 tomatoes, cored, small dice
- 2 cups vegetable stock/water
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, small dice
- 1 ripe banana, peeled, thin slices
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Drain the liquid from the tofu package and cut into 1”- cubes. Set aside.
- Prepare the garlic, tomatoes, apple, banana.
- In a pot, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, salt, and sauté until they are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Add stock/water if they become too dry.
- Add the garlic and combine with the onions.
- Stir in the garam masala, cayenne pepper, and rice flour.
- Add the tomatoes, apple, banana.
- Add the stock/water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 20 minutes
- Add the tofu cubes and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with additional sea salt and ground black pepper, to your taste.
- Serve the curry over roasted vegetables and rice.